Jul 4, 2008

Friendship's Garden

Friendship's Garden


Count your garden by the flowers, never by the leaves that fall.
Count your days by the golden hours, don't remember clouds at all.
Count your life by smiles, not tears, and with joy on every birthday.
Count your age by friends, not years.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Walk With Me

If you have learned to walk
A little more sure-footedly than I,
Be patient with my stumbling then
And know that only as I do my best and try
May I attain the goal
For which we both are striving.

If through experience, your soul
Has gained heights which I
As yet in dim-lit vision see,
Hold out your hand and point the way,
Lest from its straightness I should stray,
And walk a mile with me.

From the book, Taking Time For Friends. The author is unknown.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beauty of Our Friendship

Friendship is a Priceless Gift that cannot be bought or sold,
But its value is far greater than a mountain made of Gold.
For gold is cold and lifeless, it can neither see nor hear
And in the time of trouble it is powerless to cheer--
It has no ears to listen nor heart to understand,
It cannot bring you comfort or reach out a helping hand
So when you ask God for a gift
Be thankful if HE sends not diamonds, pearls or riches
But The Love of Real True Friends.

- Helen Steiner Rice -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Friend

A friend is like a shade tree
Beside a summer way.

A friend is like the sunshine
That makes a perfect day.

A friend is like a flower
That's worn close to the heart.

A friend is like a treasure
With which one will not part.

divider bar

Just Being Friends

"Friendship happens in that special moment
when someone reaches out to another,
trusts, comforts, believes in another,
and makes a special difference
that no one else can make".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Everyone Needs Someone

People need people and friends need friends
And we all need love, for a full life depends
Not on vast riches or great acclaim
Not on success or worldly fame
But just in knowing that someone cares
And holds us close in their thoughts and prayers
For only the knowledge that we're understood
Makes everyday living, feel wonderfully good
And we rob ourselves of life's greatest need
When we "lock up our hearts" and fail to heed
The outstretched hand reaching to find
A kindred spirit whose heart and mind
Are lonely and longing to somehow share
Our joys and our sorrows and to make us aware
That life's completeness and richness depends
On the things we share with our loved ones and friends

- Helen Steiner Rice -
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I Could...

If I could catch a rainbow
I would do it just for you
And share with you its beauty
On the days you're feeling blue.

If I could build a mountain
You could call your very own
A place to find serenity
A place to be alone.

If I could take your troubles
I would toss them in the sea
But all these things I'm finding
Are impossible for me.

I cannot build a mountain
Or catch a rainbow fair
But let me be what I know best:
A friend that's always there.

Author Unknown

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ A F R I E N D ~

A friend, is all of many things.
Most of which are smiles, laughter and tears.
Shared with you for many years..
Always there when needed, never offending.
Doing what's in need of being done.
Not overlooking, when you're hurting.
Nor criticizing, what you have done when you're down.
Reading what is in your heart, not the words you say.
A friend is all of these things and many more.

A friend in times of need, is difficult to find.
A pleasant way to ease your mind.
To know for sure you have one,
a milestone on the road of life.
Friends need not have riches nor material things.
Only A heart to share.
Smiles on their faces; when you meet.
The songs in your hearts play the same tunes.
Their smiles are your smiles.
Their laughter, your's.

Friends are able to empathize feelings of others.
For under the skin deep within,
We are all sisters and brothers.

© George Bryant, May 1998

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Friend Who Just Stands By

When trouble come your soul to try,
You love the friend who just "stands by."
Perhaps there's nothing he can do--
The thing is strictly up to you;
For there are troubles all your own,
And paths the soul must tread alone;
Times when love cannot smooth the road
Nor friendship lift the heavy load,
But just to know you have a friend
Who will "stand by" until the end,
Whose sympathy through all endures,
Whose warm handclasp is always yours--
It helps, some ways, to pull you through,
Although there's nothing he can do.
And so with fervent heart you cry,
"God bless the friend who just 'stand by.'"

...B. Y. Williams - From the book Tea For Two
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True Friends

You find them around
When you are in need
They will give of themselves
Regardless of deed

They're around when your happy
And when you are sad
Your mood makes no difference
They make you feel glad

You seldom know, who they may be
Unless you're having trouble
But when you need them, you will see
True ones come on the double

They come to lend a helping hand
Whether skys be gloomy or sunny
Then there are times, when you are down
They'll say things that are funny

The true ones last a long, long time
And always seem to be there
Still there are those that come but once
These "False Ones" really don't care

You'll find through life, that there are many
"Fair Weather", "False", and "True"
But never forget, if you would have any
You must first be a "True Friend" too.

Y.K.O.P. by: The Dream Weaver

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Love of a Friend

Because you love me, I have found
New joys that were not mine before;
New stars have lightened up my sky
With glories growing more and more.

Because you love me I can rise
To the height of fame and realms of power;
Because you love me I may learn
The highest use of every hour.

Because you love me I can choose
To look through your dear eyes and see
Beyond the beauty of the Now
Far onward to Eternity.

Because you love me I can wait
With perfect patience well possessed;
Because you love me all my life
Is circled with unquestioned rest;
Yes, even Life and even Death
Is all unquestioned and all blest.

From the book, Taking Time For Friends. The author is unknown.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Touching Shoulders

There's a comforting thought at the close of the day
When I'm weary and lonely and sad;
That sort of grips hold of this poor old heart
And bids it be merry and glad.
It gets in my being, and drives out the blues

And finally thrills through and through,
It's just a sweet memory, that chants this refrain,
"I'm glad I touched shoulders with you."

Did you know you were brave?
Did you know you were strong?
Did you know there was one leaning hard?
Did you know that I waited, and listened and prayed?
And was cheered by your simplest word.
Did you know that I longed for the smile on your face?
For the sound of your voice ringing true,
Did you know I grew stronger and better because
"I had merely touched shoulders with you ".

I'm glad that I live, that I battle and strive,
For a place that I know I must fill;
I'm thankful for sorrows, I'll meet with a grin
What fortune may bring, good or ill;
I may not have wealth, I may not be great
But I know I will always be true,
For I have in my life, that courage you gave,
When once, "I touched shoulders with you!"

The author is belived to be: Lawrence Holtzberry, deceased
Mr. Holtzberry was a member of the Lions Club District 13K (Hebron, Ohio)
Thanks to Walt Miller for sending me this info.



No comments: